Tuesday 8 July 2014

What's up #2: WC Finals Here We Come!!!!! Deutschland!!!!!

Germany is in the finals!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Can you tell that I'm excited?!!!!
Germany has gotten so close in the last three World Cups to hoisting the trophy but always fail to hit the mark in either the semis or the final themselves but after the display from the German side today, I have no doubt in my mind that 2014 can be the year this young and enthusiastic German team win the coveted World Cup trophy. 

Germany handed down the worst defeat in Brazil's football history, with their 7-1 trashing of the host nation. Yup I said 7-1. Now I'm going to be completely honest, never would I have thought that Germany would trump Brazil so badly. I was expected a 2-1, maybe even 3-2, I was expecting a fight between two of the greatest football nations in this land and what I got was a clean German sweep and I ain't mad.

I must congratulate Germany's number 11, Miroslav Klose on becoming the most prolific scorer in the World Cup. Today on top of handing Brazil their worst defeat ever, Klose became the top goal scorer in the World Cup. The previous holder of the title of Most Goals Scored in the World Cup was none other than Brazil's Ronaldo who had scored 15 goals total in all his World Cup appearances. Klose now holds the record having scored his 16th goal against Brazil, and I'm positive that he's already planning on having his 17th in the big final in Rio.

Thomas Muller netted his 5th goal of the World Cup thus far (still gunning for the Golden Boot), but it was Toni Kroos who opened the floodgate when he scored his first goal. That goal exposed the weakness in the Brazilian defense and the Germans made them pay.

Now I can give all the love I want to the goalscorers, however, the German defense deserves some massive love as well. This is the most solid and synchronised I've seen the German backline for this entire World Cup. They were strong, they were forceful but they were never crude or reckless in thier tackling or defending. Good job boys!!
However, I can't speak about the German backline without mentioning the big guy in the goal, the man in green, Manuel Neuer. Simply put, he's a beast. Quite possibly the best goalkeeper I've seen since Oliver Kahn. Neuer is always well poised and ready to pounce, and he also takes one hell of a penalty (Bayern Munich vs Chelsea, it's worth a watch). He's downright outstanding and I enjoy seeing him on the pitch.

My celebratory blog would not be complete however, if I don't mention Germany's amazing coach Joachim Low. After the last World Cup, I was petrified that Low would resign from coaching the German team but am I ever so grateful that he stayed put. I firmly believe that Low can lead the Germans to hoisting the trophy this time around. He's heavily involved in their training and from the pictures they post of the Germany National Team's Facebook page, he may even be running circles around them during training.

I believe in Low and his technical team, I believe in this bright-hearted and spirited German team. Off to Rio they go, this Sunday July 13th, will they be the ones lifting the World Cup trophy? I hope so, with all of my heart, I believe that 2014 is the year of Germany.

No comments:

Post a Comment